Auf dem Bild ist die Außenfassade des neuen Museums zu sehen. An dieser hängt ein rotes Banner mit der Aufschrift "Ich bin ein Museum".

Plan Your Visit!

We’ve moved!

Kölnisches Stadtmuseum
Minoritenstrasse 13
50667 Köln

In the autumn of 2023 our administration and our restoration facilities moved. You can now find them at our new address in Minoritenstrasse 13.

The entrance to the administration department is located to the rear of the building (Kolumbahof 3, 50667 Cologne).

Because of the move, there will be no more exhibitions in the museum complex in Zeughausstrasse.

Please join us in looking forward to the reopening of our museum with a new, innovative permanent exhibition in 2023! We’re not just changing our address, we’re changing our whole museum concept!

Visit already now our exhibition “KARNEVAL IN COLOGNE”

An exhibition of the Kölnisches Stadtmuseum in cooperation with the Festkomitee Kölner Karneval von 1823 e.V.

June 2 – July 30, 2023
Tue. to Sun., 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Admission: 5 euros, reduced 2.50 euros

Guest at the MAKK – Museum of Applied Arts Cologne (An der Rechtschule 7)

Any Questions?

Please get in touch!

Box office:
+49(0)221 221-22398

General information:

You can find the contact details for individual employees under Team.

Werbebanner. Im Hintergrund sieht man den Fuß des Kölner Doms, darauf den Namen der neuen Dauerausstellung "Stadt. Geschichte. Anders." in weißen Buchstaben.

Getting Here

Public Transport:

Lines 3, 4, 16, 18, Appellhofplatz and Dom/Hbf

Line 171, Offenbachplatz (stop)

By Car (multistorey car parks):

J.&R. Kalscheurer Parkhausbetriebe,
Glockengasse 1, 50667 Köln

Schwertnergasse 1, 50667 Köln

Parkhaus Brückenstraße
Ludwigstraße 1-4, 50667 Köln

Das Bild zeigt eine illustrierte Stadtkarte der Museumsumgebung.

The Surrounding Area


The new museum venue is just a stone’s throw from the two main pedestrian streets Hohe Straße and Schildergasse. It’s also just a short walk to Cologne Cathedral.

The MAKK – Museum für Angewandte Kunst – is also very close to our museum. Another nearby attraction is the Kolumba, the art museum of the archdiocese of Cologne which was designed by Swiss architect Peter Zumthor. Integrated into the museum is the impressive St. Kolumba chapel ‘Madonna in den Trümmern’ (‘Madonna in the Ruins’), an oasis of calm in the middle of a lively city centre.

Restaurant & Cafés

In the museum’s immediate vicinity there are many cafés and restaurants inviting visitors to stop and spend some time. There’s the popular Café Espresso Perfetto, the well-known Italian restaurant Veltri Gastronomia and the vegan restaurant Sattgrün.


It is our top priority to make our new venue as accessible as possible – despite the building’s existing structures.

All exhibition floors and public toilets are accessible via lift. The lifts are equipped with touch pads and acoustic announcements. The venue will also be fully accessible to visitors using electronic wheelchairs. When using the lifts, our supervisory staff is happy to provide assistance at any time. In order to ensure all our visitors are able to see our exhibits, all the cabinets and media stations will be accessible to wheelchair users from the side. There will also be mobile stools available on all floors.

A tactile ground guidance system as well as tactile floor plans will enable blind and visually impaired visitors to find their way around independently. Many of the items in the exhibition can be experienced via tactile labels, tactile objects, audio stations, videos featuring German sign language and via a special audio guide. In order to improve the exhibition experience for visually impaired visitors, we are using high-contrast colours and lighting that minimises reflections and glare in all areas.

The box office counter is equipped with a mobile induction loop for the hearing impaired.

Die Visualisierung zeigt den neuen Auftaktraum der Ausstellung. Er ist in einem dunklem Grauton gehalten. Es stehen Personen im Raum und schauen sich Ausstellungsgegenstände an.
(© neumann schneider architekten)

Man sieht mehrere Buchrücken alter Bücher nebeneinander stehen.


Please be aware: during our move, use of the library will be extremely restricted. Please get in touch with our librarian Ms. Vanessa Schmitz regarding any questions you might have.

The library of the Kölnisches Stadtmuseum is a publicly accessible reference library that contains around 50,000 items.
The majority of these items are works on the history of Cologne as well as illustrated descriptions of trips along the Rhine. The library further possesses an extensive collection of old prints.

You will be able to agree visiting times individually with our librarian Vanessa Schmitz:

Vanessa Schmitz
Phone: +49 (0)221/221-23729


Auf dem Bild ist ein Teil der Museumswohnung zu sehen. Es steht ein Tisch, mehrere Stühle und zwei Kommoden im Raum.
The Museum flat (© GAG Immobilien AG)

The Museum Flat in Cologne-Höhenberg

A journey back in time to the 1920s: the Kölnisches Stadtmuseum has partnered with GAG Immobilien AG to restore a 1920s flat in the Germaniasiedlung in Cologne-Höhenberg to be an accurate replica of its historical self. It brings to life how people lived and what conditions they lived in a hundred years ago.

Weimarer Str. 15
51103 Köln

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, visits are currently only possibly with an advance booking (call 0221/872110) and a confirmation..

Opening Hours:
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am–noon and every first and third Sunday, 2pm–4pm

Further opening hours for guided tours, based on prior agreement.

Find out more

Elke Focke, Christof Wild
Tel.: 0221/872110

The Germaniasiedlung was built between 1919 and 1928 and today the majority of it is listed.

The Watchtower in Zündorf

When exactly the watchtower in Zündorf was built is not known, but it is believed to have been in the second half of the 13th century.

The museum in the watchtower opened in June 1980. Since 1994 the Verein Zündorfer Wehrturm e. V. has put on many diverse exhibitions there (

Zündorfer Wehrturm
Hauptstraße 181
51143 Köln